Blog: Social Networking Sites


The popularity of many of these social networking sites started to pick up as I was entering high school. My parents did not grow up with electricity let alone technology for social media, so they did not know what to make of this. Due to their uncertainty about these sites, I never really used them. I made a Facebook in high school for a school program and literally made a Twitter last week for this class. That’s all of the bigger social media accounts that I have. However, there are a few more applications that I have been using in the recent years.

I made a Facebook account senior year of high school to join the graduating class group to know about all the upcoming events. Ever since then I just use it to read articles on the news, watch videos that are of interest to me and to see what some of my friends post about. I never post anything myself. For me, this site is either seeing some breaking news or seeing what my Aunties are doing. I’ve also realized that you could spend hours on here just strolling and doing nothing. I do like the option of going live and showing people what you are doing. The messenger app is also really great to talk to people who don’t live in the USA.

I’ve only been on Twitter for a week, so my first impression is that there is a lot going on. I do not feel like 240 characters are a restriction but a way to say what you want directly. I like how I am able to follow what I find interesting and keep up to date with that. I also like the trending page, so I am in the know. I was on it during the Yankee games and it was actually quite comically how when something went wrong Yankee Twitter Universe exploded; for good reason though. 

I created a LinkedIn account senior year for a school business program but quickly learned how great of a resource this actually is. I was able to connect with past seniors who already made it to the real world to hear about their past experiences. I am able to connect with past teachers, bosses, and friends who endorse my skills. Following companies that interest me is also great that I great to see all of the opportunities that may apply to me. 

WhatsApp is an app that keeps me connected with my family all over the world. I am a huge family girl, so it’s amazing that I am able to talk to my cousins in Canada and Guyana every single day. It is also really great that it doesn’t matter if you have an iPhone or an Android. Recently, WhatsApp has taken some pointers from Instagram where you can add to your story. It is interesting how these sites are also constantly adapting and changing to fit the needs of society. 

In the end, these sites are a great way to stay connected with family, up to date with current events and just to view things that interest me.  

Image: https://socialnetworking.procon.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privacy

Next New

Advice